You don’t need to be a re-finisher or an expert in upholstery or antique furniture to recognize and identify high quality furniture. Follow these furniture feature guidelines to help you recognize the craft and quality of a piece of furniture;
Features of quality typically found in furniture that is at least 10 years or older;
Wood Furniture Composition:
- Softwoods Are made from coniferous trees: pine, fir, redwood and cedar wood. Softwoods require more care due to being more prone to scratches and dents.
- Hardwoods Are made from deciduous trees: oak, maple, teak, mahogany, cherry, walnut and birch. Hardwood is dried to remove moisture.
Furniture Joint Construction:
The construction of a piece of furniture can tell you about the quality of the piece, look for these;
- Dovetail, Mortise & Tenon are the oldest ways furniture makers put furniture together.
- Reinforced corner blocks seen from the inside add to the stability and strength of a piece of furniture.
- Dowels and Screws
Furniture Drawer Structure:
- Dust panels are thin sheets of wood between drawers in a chest or desk of drawers.
- Floating bottom are not affixed to the sides of the drawer, instead they float in the groove of the drawer.
- Metal glide rails drawers run smoothly and have stops to make sure the drawer does not pull all the way out.
- Springs hand-tied springs, close together even resistance.
- Cushions firm foam / wrapped in padding , protective inner cover , reversible cushions.
- Fabric high grade 120,000 rub fabric, aligned pattern , skirts with lining or weights.
If you have questions on the quality or craftsmanship of a piece of furniture from a Chippendale piece of furniture, a rare unknown antique piece to a piece that may be modern but you just aren’t sure, Contact Our Specialists at Foxwood Restorations.
Posted In: Antique Furniture Features, Antique Furniture Repairs, Antique Furniture Restoration, Furniture Repairs and Restoration, Quality of Antique Furniture
antique furniture composition, antique furniture drawer composition, antique furniture joints, antique furniture repair, high quality furniture features, reupholster antique furniture